Monday, March 7, 2011

Curves

That's right, CURVES (as in the work-out franchise) is a pet peeve of mine.  Have you ever noticed that they pop up like parasites where ever an unsuspecting mini-mall lies? - in big cities, in the smallest of towns that seem like they couldn't even support such an enterprise...they are everywhere!  Curves weighs in on my peeve-o-meter because I feel like they are operating under a banner of false advertising.  I mean, I have always gotten the impression that we are supposed to believe that a vigilant schedule of Curves would help improve your own curves.  Simplified, Curves = Weight loss.
But just hold the dumbbell a minute, have you  met or encountered anyone that goes to Curves that has any of the following: an ounce of weight less than when they started, a more athletic build, or a rocking body?  I dare you to say you have!
Once I was riding on the airport tram with my husband when I overheard two ladies that had just met come to the realization that they worked out at the same facility.  Looking over, I saw a pleasantly plump middle aged lady and a softish younger women.  They spoke of their dedication and diligence of going to the club four to five times a week.  At this point, I leaned over to my husband and whispered "Curves."  And I'll be damned if I didn't hear one say to the other before exiting that she was hoping to find a Curves in Florida to work out at when she was out of town!
Maybe it's fun.  Maybe there is great camaraderie.  Perhaps one's cardiovascular health is improved at Curves.  But, if all  of my high tech research is correct - don't be fooled by the innocent mini-mall disguise and the big talk of weight loss and fitness, Curves is nothing more than a parasite of empty promises.

No comments: