Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

I'm bringing this pet peeve out for Easter because I experienced it in full force today at mass.  Don't think that it happens only at Easter, that's just a coincidence.  And the peeve?  The high-pitched, rather crackly all-white choir going ahead with the historic African American spiritual.  Bad choice.  Somehow it really underlines the lack of musical talent in a bad group of performers when you try to go soulful.  Trust me, the middle aged lady that is cracking stained glass with that voice as it is, does not have musical soul.  Painful.  And I don't think that I was the only one whose eardrums were ringing - I saw more than one person have to look away or look down (and I don't think that it was in prayer, unless they were praying for it to stop.) 
I'm just asking that church musicians everywhere look to their talents, and to their lack of talents, and stay within those barriers.  I know that you want to move people, but you don't want to move them out of the church...do you?

No comments: